Audience Development and Marketing Officer – BULLISH National Tour
We are looking for a passionate, driven individual, who is curious about finding bespoke and multiple ways for audiences to engage with the arts and queer performance. Also someone who is excited about supporting an ambitious touring theatre company
About the company – Milk Presents
Milk Presents are an award-winning theatre company that enable people to queer their world. We create spaces for exchange, celebration, entertainment and community, which comes in the form of theatre, workshops, club-nights, symposiums, book groups and hangouts.
The theatre we make is a protest. It’s also a celebration and sometimes a bit of a messy one. You know that sticky, messed-up, extraordinary and ambiguous thing called gender? Our work is often about that.
We are an associate company of Derby Theatre and the Bush Theatre.
BULLISH is our fifth touring production following the award-winning JOAN, which toured nationally and internationally to over 70 venues. BULLISH premiered at Camden People’s Theatre in Autumn 2017 to a sell-out three-week run.
About the show – BULLISH
A retelling of the minotaur myth, BULLISH pits ancient mythology against modern gender navigation to furiously disrupt, traverse and rewrite the rule book. Stepping into the ring with a gender queer ensemble of hopers and renegades, BULLISH is a story about packing, passing and gambling your way out of the labyrinth, a mythical play with songs, negotiating ancient and new territories in trans-masculine gender and identity. This show drops a proverbial bull into a china shop and hopes it breaks everything.
BULLISH was a Home Run Commission by Camden People’s Theatre & the Jerwood Charitable Foundation. It has also received support from the Arts Council England, Derby Theatre and the Bush Theatre.
About the national tour
In Autumn 2018 BULLISH will tour to 12 venues nationwide, including one nighters, split weeks and full weeks. (Tour dates on website coming soon). The tour is supported by Arts Council England.
Our focus is to support venues to engage new audiences in the show, and in particular people who identify as LGBTQ+. BULLISH is appropriate for people aged 12+ so we also hope to cultivate a schools and young people audience for the tour. We will be touring with captioning equipment making the show more accessible for D/deaf and hard of hearing audiences, so we would also like to be able to reach new audiences who may find this beneficial.
Alongside general marketing and audience development strategy, the tour will include the following engagement activity, for which the Audience Development & Marketing Officer will be collaborating with the Producer on:
- Touring Photography Exhibition to accompany the show
- Workshops with schools and LGBTQ+ community groups
- Gender positivity and inclusion training for venues
- Attendance at LGBTQ+ events prior to show in each locality
- Creative captioning for D/deaf, hard of hearing, and English as second language audience
Job Title: Audience Development & Marketing Officer
Description: Managing the audience development activity throughout the project BULLISH, National Tour 2018 by Milk Presents
Dates: July – November 2018
Total days of work: 12
Reports to: Producer
Works with: Press Agency and Producer
- Excellent communication skills – ability to engage with both theatre professionals and members of the public.
- Excellent organisational skills and time management.
- Ability to use good initiative and work remotely.
- Computer literate with strong Word, e-marketing and social media experience.
- Good experience of social media management and scheduling
- At least 3 years of experience in marketing/audience development (either specifically or through other producing/administration experience).
- Experience of developing audiences for small-scale and mid-scale theatre work on the UK touring circuit.
- familiarity queer performance, LGBTQ+ politics and awareness
- Availability to travel to Derby, London and to meet our partner venues (travel costs provided)
- Availability to meet regularly with the Producer (either via Skype or face-to-face)
- Availability to travel to local LGBTQ+ events and meet with LGBTQ+ ambassadors (travel costs provided)
- Experience of independent working
- Knowledge of venues on the tour
- Graphic design and digital marketing asset experience
- Managing the audience development activity throughout the project
- Managing the schedule for local visits and engagement with LGBTQ+ events
- Liaison with tour venues regarding marketing and audience development
- Building upon existing marketing materials and creating a marketing pack for the show
- Scheduling social media posts across twitter, facebook and instagram, creating hashtags and online engagement ideas
- Liaison with press agency with regards to interviews, promotion and reviews (press agency will lead on this)
- Overseeing print design and distribution
- Working with tour venues to gather audience data
- Create and implement effective marketing strategies.
- Contribute to interim and final reports and evaluation.
- Regularly report to the Producer
Fee is £1500 based on £125 daily fee for 12 days of work (plus travel), spread out in accordance with the needs of the project and by mutual agreement with Producer between July 2018 and November 2018.
The core team work remotely between Derby, Manchester and London, and the company is based in Derby Theatre. The Marketing and Audience Development Officer will be expected to work remotely but desk space can be arranged at Derby Theatre.
This job description is intended as a guide to the nature of the work required of this position, it is neither wholly comprehensive nor restrictive and is subject to review.
We welcome and encourage applications from people who identify as LGBTQ+ and those currently underrepresented in our workforce and in the arts community; particularly people of colour, and disabled people (as defined by the Equality Act 2010).
How to apply
Deadline:15th June 2018, 5pm
Applicants will be contacted by 22nd June. Interviews will take place in Derby the week of 25th June 2018. Please let us know if you have any access requirements. (If cost of travel is prohibitive to attendance then it is possible to skype interview).
Anticipated start day: Early to mid July 2018
Please email Ruby on firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- an up to date CV,
- a cover letter outlining your interest and suitability for this position with reference to job description and person specification. (300 – 400 words)
- The names and contact details (e-mail and telephone) of two referees. They might be contacted prior to possible offer of the role.
- Completed Diversity & Equality Monitoring Form
We look forward to hearing from you
Ruby, Adam and Lucy