Great to meet you. We are Milk Presents and we are on the hunt for a Company Apprentice. This is a really exciting role which will provide paid, training and experience to someone who is at the beginning of their career in the arts. Perhaps you have experience of youth theatre/ university/ workshops and now want to look at running your own company, making your own work or working on lighting, sound and stage management? Perhaps you aren’t sure yet but want to join the gang and work in a few areas? We are looking for someone who is practical, curious, enthusiastic and proactive.
Have a look below and if you would like to chat anything through do email Ruby on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also recruiting a Company Associate, so if you think that might be more your thing, do have a look at that too.
We look forward to hearing from you,
An exciting opportunity for an early career artist to join Milk Presents as company apprentice, working alongside the whole team to re-mount and tour BULLISH in Autumn 2018. We’re looking for a passionate and driven individual, enthusiastic about making queer performance and learning new skills. Joining an experienced team of queer performers and creatives, the company apprentice will primarily support the production manager in rehearsals and on tour, as well as get the opportunity to assist the director and producer. The role encompasses a broad range of tasks, offering an opportunity to experience all elements of running a touring theatre company and making queer performance work. The aim is for the company apprentice to develop their skill-set at the same time as supporting the Production Manager and creative team.
About the company – Milk Presents
Milk Presents are an award-winning theatre company who enable people to queer their world. We create spaces for exchange, celebration, entertainment and community, which comes in the form of theatre, workshops, club-nights, symposiums, book groups and hangouts.The theatre we make is a protest. It’s also a celebration and sometimes a bit of a messy one. You know that sticky, messed-up, extraordinary and ambiguous thing called gender? Our work is often about that.We are an associate company of Derby Theatre and the Bush Theatre.BULLISH is Milk Presents’ fifth touring production following the award-winning JOAN, which toured nationally and internationally to over 70 venues. BULLISH premiered at Camden People’s Theatre in Autumn 2017 to a sell-out three-week run.
About the show – BULLISH
A retelling of the minotaur myth, BULLISH pits ancient mythology against modern gender navigation to furiously disrupt, traverse and rewrite the rule book. Stepping into the ring with a genderqueer ensemble of hopers and renegades, BULLISH is a story about packing, passing and gambling your way out of the labyrinth, a mythical play with songs, negotiating ancient and new territories in trans-masculine gender and identity. This show drops a proverbial bull into a china shop and hopes it breaks everything.
BULLISH was a Home Run Commission by Camden People’s Theatre & the Jerwood Charitable Foundation. It has also received support from the Arts Council England, Derby Theatre and the Bush Theatre.
About the national tour
In Autumn 2018 BULLISH will tour for nine weeks across 17 venues, including one nighters, split weeks and full weeks. The tour is supported by Arts Council England.
Alongside the show the tour will also encompass:
- Touring Photography Exhibition to accompany the show
- Workshops with schools and LGBTQIA+ community groups
- Gender positivity and inclusion training for venues
- Attendance at LGBTQIA+ events prior to show in each locality
- Creative captioning for D/deaf, hard of hearing, and English as second language audience
Job Title: Company Apprentice
Description: Supporting the rehearsals and national tour of BULLISH
Expenses: £500 and all travel and accommodation on tour will be covered by Milk Presents
Dates: September 3rd – December 2nd 2018 (Specific weeks detailed below) Probation period: 3rd – 14th September
Reports to: Producer and Production Manager
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills and time management.
- Ability to use good initiative
- Computer literate
- Further education in performing arts (not exclusive to university, can include youth theatre, vocational courses, workshops)
- Passion and knowledge for performing arts sector
- Practical experience of putting on a show, as any role (actor, director, SM, producer etc)
- Understanding of queer performance, LGBTQIA+ politics and awareness
- Availability for the entire rehearsal and touring period
- Experience in technical support, such as lighting or sound
- Stage management experience
- Full Driving License
- Supporting the production manager in rehearsals and on tour
- Operating the sound for every show
- Managing the touring photography exhibition at each venue
- Supporting the cast, in particular call-times, accommodation and running props / tasks (eg. Up keeping props / laundry)
- Assisting the director during rehearsals
- Generating show reports with Production Manager
- Get-ins and get-outs (getting the show into and out of the space)
- Driving (if applicable)
- Assisting the producer if and when applicable
As well as learning practical skills on the job the company apprentice will receive two hours of bespoke mentoring on whatever they would like to learn from each of the following team members:
- Production Manager
- Cast Member
|Script Reading||22/23 Aug|
|Rehearsal week 1 London||3rd – 8th September|
|Rehearsal week 2 London||10th – 14th September|
|Tour Week 1|
|Technical rehearsal Bedales School||17th Sept|
|Technical rehearsal Bedales School||18th Sept|
|Bedales School||19th Sept|
|Nuffield Southampton||20th Sept|
|Nuffiled Southampton||21st Sept|
|Reading South Street||22nd Sept|
|Tour Week 2|
|Oxford Playhouse||25th Sept|
|Wakefield Theatre Royal||27th Sept|
|Wakefield Theatre Royal||28th Sept|
|Wakefield Theatre Royal||29th Sept|
|Tour Week 3|
|Seagull, Lowestoft||8th Oct|
|The Garage Norwich||9th Oct|
|Tour Week 4|
|Arena, Wolverhampton||11th Oct|
|Derby Theatre||12th oct|
|Derby Theatre||13th Oct|
|Derby Theatre||14th Oct|
|Tour Week 5|
|HOME Manchester||29th Oct|
|HOME Manchester||30th Oct|
|HOME Manchester||31st Oct|
|Back to Ours, HULL||1st Nov|
|Back to Ours, HULL||2nd Nov|
|Back to Ours, HULL||3rd Nov|
|Tour Week 6|
|Cambridge Junction||7th Nov|
|METAL Peterborough||8th Nov|
|METAL Peterborough||9th Nov|
|METAL Peterborough||10th Nov|
|Tour Week 7|
|Square Chapel Halifax||15th Nov|
|Exeter Phoenix||17th Nov|
|Exeter Phoenix||18th Nov|
|Millenium Centre Cardiff||20th Nov|
|Millenium Centre Cardiff||21st Nov|
|Millenium Centre Cardiff||22nd Nov|
|Millenium Centre Cardiff||23rd Nov|
|Millenium Centre Cardiff||24th Nov|
|Tour Week 9|
|Lighthouse Poole||29th Nov|
|Lighthouse Poole||30th Nov|
|Lighthouse Poole||1st Dec|
This job description is intended as a guide to the nature of the work required of this position, it is neither wholly comprehensive nor restrictive and is subject to review.
We encourage applications from the widest range of candidates. We actively welcome candidates who self identify as LGBTQIA+ and those currently underrepresented in the arts, including people of colour and those who self identify as disabled.
How to apply
Deadline: 13th July 2018, 5pm
Applicants will be contacted by 20th July. Interviews will take place in Derby and London the week of 23rd July. Please let us know if you have any access requirements. (If cost of travel is prohibitive then please let us know, and we will try to accomodate financially or via skype).
Start day: 3rd September
Please email Ruby on email@example.com with titled ‘COMPANY APPRENTICE’:
- an up to date CV
- a cover letter outlining your interest and suitability for this position with reference to job description and person specification. (400 – 600 words)
- The names and contact details (email and telephone) of two referees. They may be contacted if you are offered the position.
- Completed Equality Monitoring Form
If you have any questions or would like to chat through anything then do email firstname.lastname@example.org who will be happy to support you.
We look forward to hearing from you
Ruby, Adam and Lucy