** Please be aware that application has now closed for this post. Sorry if you missed the opportunity but sign up to our mailing list for updates about new opportunities and everything else we’re up to. Thanks **
Great to meet you. We are Milk Presents and we are looking for a Company Associate to join our team. This role will deliver ‘GET INVOLVED’ – the workshop and education wing of Milk Presents, with a view to developing the programme and looking after touring work long-term. Working closely with Milk Presents director Lucy J Skilbeck, you will learn Milk’s current workshop programme and approach, as well as being invited to develop your own if this feels appropriate. In conversation with the director, the Associate may also work with the director to note and upkeep shows on tour in the future.
This is a freelance position, and one that we plan to grow. BULLISH National Tour is the first project for the role, so it is currently a light touch role, but we anticipate this being a long term collaboration for the right person. Our ambition for the Company Associate is that in collaboration with us, you will develop the role into an integral part of what we do. This might be through our fast developing workshop programme, through youth and community projects, or something else you are passionate about.
It will suit someone of LGBTQIA+ experience, with a robust skill set in facilitation, and real belief in the power of this to make a positive impact on the lives of people who engage in the work we do.
Have a look below and if you would like to chat anything through do email Ruby on email@example.com.
We are also recruiting a Company Apprentice, so if you think that might be more your thing, do have a look at that too.
We look forward to hearing from you,
We’re looking for a passionate and driven individual, enthusiastic about making queer performance and sharing these skills with others. The company associate will help us deliver our expanding workshop programme, taking the lead in facilitation and contributing to the ongoing development of workshop content. They will be trained in Milk Presents’ approach to making work, sharing skills and working with participants, with the aim of delivering our GET INVOLVED programme long-term, in collaboration with the rest of our small team.
Training and this period of delivery will happen alongside the national tour of BULLISH. Workshops accompanying the show will be taking place at the venues, and will be engaging students, creatives and LGBTQIA+ communities. We plan to work with the Company Associate to develop a bespoke workshop exploring the making of BULLISH.
About the company – Milk Presents
Milk Presents are an award-winning theatre company that who enable people to queer their world. We create spaces for exchange, celebration, entertainment and community, which comes in the form of theatre, workshops, club-nights, symposiums, book groups and hangouts. The theatre we make is a protest. It’s also a celebration and sometimes a bit of a messy one. You know that sticky, messed-up, extraordinary and ambiguous thing called gender? Our work is often about that. We are an associate company of Derby Theatre and the Bush Theatre. BULLISH is Milk Presents’ fifth touring production following the award-winning JOAN, which toured nationally and internationally to over 70 venues. BULLISH premiered at Camden People’s Theatre in Autumn 2017 to a sell-out three-week run.
We are a small core team of three co-directors:
Ruby Glaskin – Producer/Deviser
Adam Robertson – Performer/Production/Deviser
Lucy J Skilbeck – Director/Writer/Deviser
About the show – BULLISH
A retelling of the minotaur myth, BULLISH pits ancient mythology against modern gender navigation to furiously disrupt, traverse and rewrite the rule book. Stepping into the ring with a genderqueer ensemble of hopers and renegades, BULLISH is a story about packing, passing and gambling your way out of the labyrinth, a mythical play with songs, negotiating ancient and new territories in trans-masculine gender and identity. This show drops a proverbial bull into a china shop and hopes it breaks everything.
BULLISH was a Home Run Commission by Camden People’s Theatre & the Jerwood Charitable Foundation. It has also received support from the Arts Council England, Derby Theatre and the Bush Theatre.
About the national tour
In Autumn 2018 BULLISH will tour for nine weeks across 17 venues nationwide, including one nighters, split weeks and full weeks. (Tour dates on website). The tour is supported by Arts Council England.
Alongside the show the tour will also encompass:
- Touring Photography Exhibition to accompany the show
- Workshops with schools and LGBTQIA+ community groups
- Gender positivity and inclusion training for venues
- Attendance at LGBTQIA+ events prior to show in each locality
- Creative captioning for D/deaf, hard of hearing, and English as second language audience
Job Title: Company Associate
Description: Training and delivery of GET INVOLVED – workshop and education programme
Fee: £2500 (20 days total)
Dates: August 2018 – November 2018 (With a review of position at the end of BULLISH Tour)
Reports to: Producer and Director
- Experienced facilitator, used to working with participants of varying age and background in a multitude of settings
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills and time management.
- Ability to use good initiative
- Passion and knowledge of the wider performing arts sector
- Practical theatre making experience
- Understanding of queer performance, LGBTQIA+ politics and awareness
- Intention to work freelance for Milk Presents for a minimum of 1 year
- Experience of Milk Presents’ work
- Experience of working with LGBTQIA+ communities
- Directing Experience
- Full Driving License
- Shadowing the company director in workshops, as part of the training process
- Offer constructive critical feedback on current workshop provision
- Observing BULLISH rehearsals
- Learning signature Milk Presents’ workshop exercises and delivery style
- Designing a new BULLISH workshop with the rest of the team
- Delivering workshops alongside BULLISH National Tour
- Delivering ongoing workshop programme
- Develop and enhance current workshop, education and training provision
This job description is intended as a guide to the nature of the work required of this position, it is neither wholly comprehensive nor restrictive and is subject to review.
Note on fee and dates: The fee cited is the fee associated to training and delivery of GET INVOLVED for BULLISH National Tour. It is anticipated that more work will be offered to the company associate as time goes on. Dates of workshops will be provided at point of interview offer, as these are still currently being confirmed with venues.
We encourage applications from the widest range of candidates. We actively welcome candidates who self identify as LGBTQIA+ and those currently underrepresented in the arts, including people of colour and those who self identify as disabled.
How to apply
Deadline: 13th July 2018, 5pm
Applicants will be contacted by 20th July. Interviews will take place in London on the 24th July. Please let us know if you have any access requirements. (If cost of travel is prohibitive to attendance then please let us know).
Please email Ruby on firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- an up to date CV,
- a cover letter outlining your interest and suitability for this position with reference to job description and person specification. (300 – 400 words)
- Imagine you are running a workshop for a group of twenty 16-25 year olds who identify as LGBTQIA+ . Please give an example of one exercise you might deliver early on in this workshop, something which lasts roughly 5 minutes (up to 200 words)
- The names and contact details (email and telephone) of two referees. They might be contacted if you are offered the position.
- Completed Equality Monitoring form (click here)
We look forward to hearing from you
Ruby, Adam and Lucy